Reddit Changes Harsh Reality Of African Orphanage For The Better
A year ago, Ben Hardwick heard and shared the story of Anthony Omari, a man who took a machete to the face as he defended 35 children within an orphanage. Omari had only a hammer to face his attackers with.¬†Hardwick proposed that he and other Reddit users might raise $2,000 to help raise a concrete wall and barbed wire to prevent dangerous people from breaking in again.
In just 35 hours, $80,000 was raised. Three days, Hardwick¬†came back to Reddit to tell the community about the difference their donations had made. The changes were¬†phenomenal. ¬†Hardwick posted what the money helped make possible:
- Built the security wall (no attempts by thieves have been made since).
- Hired additional staff: a grounds man/watchman, and a chef.
- Purchased two milking cows to provide milk for the kids and generate additional income.
- Constructed a large¬†dining room table, allowing the kids to eat together inside and off of the ground.
- Purchased¬†bunk beds¬†for all of the children; they don‚Äôt have to sleep on the ground anymore!
- Constructed a¬†playground¬†for the kids to play on, which they absolutely love.
- Introduced a new,¬†well-balanced menu¬†that includes fruits, vegetables, beef, and fish.
- Purchased two large¬†water tanks¬†that collect rainwater in an effort to reduce the monthly water bill.
- Had a huge¬†Christmas¬†celebration; each child received¬†new shoes, clothes, a school backpack, school supplies, candy, and a water bottle.
- Purchased a¬†washing machine¬†which means the kids and staff no longer have to wash clothes by hand, saving them countless hours of work everyday.
- Field trips to¬†Ngong Hills, the¬†Monkey Park,¬†Giraffe Center, and¬†Elephant Orphanage.
- ‚ÄúFaraja Gives Back‚ÄĚ¬†community service¬†projects.
- We are currently starting a Daycare Center that will generate income.
- Purchased¬†hearing aids¬†for one of the children, Nancy. This meant a lot to both Nancy and Momma Moraa; the hearing aids are a symbol of what they could never have imagined being able to afford one year ago, but now can.
- We have been able to send Momma Moraa back to school, to workshops, and to conferences to improve as a Director and make Faraja the best home possible.
Hardwick wrote to Redditers that Omari, the children and the Orphanage’s founder, Momma Moraa were grateful for their gift:
As you can see a LOT has changed, and you are all to thank for it. Omari, Momma Moraa, and the kids cannot express in words just how grateful they are. When Moraa started Faraja eight years ago in the slum of Kibera, she couldn‚Äôt even afford a mattress to sleep on, let alone actual beds for her children. You, reddit, have given Momma Moraa and her children the lives they once dreamed of. Thank you!
Hardwick also shared a photo of Omari, happy and healed: